The University Grants Commission Act, 2050 (1993 A.d.)
Date of Authentication and Publication
2050-8-7 B.S. (Nov. 22, 1993)
Act No. 25 of 2050 B.S.
An Act to provide for the University Grants Commission
An Act To Provide For The University Grants Commission
Preamble: Whereas, it is expedient to establish a University Grants Commission and to provide for it in order for appropriate distribution of grant amount received from various sectors for operation and development of universities in the Kingdom of Nepal and for carrying out functions to motivate for providing quality education
having determined academic standard of universities; Be it enacted by parliament in Twenty Second year of reign of His Majesty’s the King Birendra Bir Bikram Shahdev.
1. Short Title And Commencement
(2) This Act shall come into force from the date prescribed in a notification published by Government of Nepal in the Nepal Gazette.
Unless the subject or context requires otherwise, in this Act â
(a) “Commissionâ means the University Grants Commission established under Section 3.
(b) “University” means a university established or to be established as per prevailing law.
(c) “Chairpersonâ means the Chairperson of the commission.
(d) “Member” means member of the commission and this expression also includes the Chairperson and Member-Secretary .
(e) “Secretary” means the Secretary of the commission.
(f) “Prescribed” or “as prescribed” means prescribed or as prescribed in the Rules framed under this Act.
3. Establishment Of Commission
(1) There shall be established a University Grants Commission for appropriate distribution of grants amount received from various sectors for operation and development of universities in the Kingdom of Nepal and for providing quality education having determined academic standard of university.
(2) The commission shall be called University Grants Commission in English language.
(3) Office of the commission shall be located at Kathmandu Valley.
4. Commission To Be An Autonomous Body
(1) The commission shall be an autonomous body corporate having perpetual succession.
(2) The commission shall have its separate seal for all of its activities.
(3) The commission may, like an individual, acquire, use, sell or dispose of movable and immovable property in any manner.
(4) The commission may file case as an individual and a case may be filed against the commission as well in its name.
5. Composition Of Commission
(1) Composition tion of the commission established under Sub-section (1) of Section 3 shall be as follows: –
(a) The person nominated by Government of Nepal from amongst renowned educationists âChairperson
(b) Two Vice-Chancellors nominated by Government of Nepal from amongst Vice-Chancellors of Universities â
(c) Member (Education Sector), National Planning Commission âMember
(d) Secretary, Ministry of Education, Culture and Social Welfare âMember
(e) Secretary, Ministry of Finance âMember
(f) Two persons nominated by Government of Nepal from amongst learned persons making special contribution in
higher education and senior professorsâMember
(g) Two persons nominated by Government of Nepal from amongst persons of different walks of life making special
contribution in educationâMember
(h) SecretaryâMember Secretary
(2) The terms of office of nominated members shall be of four years and they may be reappointed upon expiry of the terms of office.
(3) Government of Nepal may, on the recommendation of the commission along with reasons, alter the members of the commission upon publishing a Notification in the Nepal Gazette.
6. Functions, Duties And Powers Of The Commission
(1) Functions, duties and powers of the commission shall be as follows: â
(a) To provide consultation to Government of Nepal with regard to establishing university;
(b) To formulate policies with regard to providing grants amount received from various sectors to universities;
(c) To provide grants to universities and to ask for additional grants and to recommend universities for this purpose to the concerned bodies;
(d) To cause to maintain coordination amongst universities for making academic programs to be conducted as per
(e) To design appropriate programs for enhancement of academic standard;
(f) To make necessary provisions with regard to maintaining appropriate academic standard in universities;
(g) To make necessary provisions with regard to exchange of scholarship and fellowship with universities or academic institutions within and outside Nepal.
(h) To maintain coordination amongst universities;
(i) To submit annual report of acts and activities of the commission to Government of Nepal; and
(j) To carryout other functions as prescribed for fulfilling objectives of the commission.
(2) The commission may, if it deems necessary, seek advices from any native or foreign expert or consultant.
7. Particulars May Be Asked
(1) The commission may, in connection with the functions and duties referred to in Section 6, ask for necessary particulars relating to financial transaction, the present fund, academic programs, curricula or other activities of any university or academic institutions being run there under, and it shall be the duty of the concerned university to make available such particulars.
8. Meetings Of Commission
(1) Meeting of the commission shall be held at least for once in a month.
(2) The Chairperson shall preside over meetings of the commission and in his/her absence; the member designated by the Chairperson shall preside over the meeting of the commission.
(3) If fifty percent of the total members of the commission are present, it shall be deemed to have constituted quorum for meeting of the commission.
(4) The Member-Secretary shall authenticate the decisions of meetings of the commission.
(5) Other procedures relating to the meetings of the commission shall be as determined by the commission.
9. Committees Or Sub-committees May Be Formed
(2) Functions, duties, powers and procedures of the committees or sub-committees to be formed pursuant to Sub-section (1) shall be as prescribed by the commission.
10. Consultation With The Commission To Establish University
Government of Nepal shall consultat with the commission with regard to establishment of a new university.
11. Grants To Universities
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in prevailing Nepal law, the grants to be made available to universities after
commencement of this Act shall be made available through the commission.
(2) The commission may recommend the university fulfilling the prescribed conditions for grants before any other organization.
(3) The Commission may provide financial assistance to the private colleges having fulfilled the prescribed conditions.
(4) Other provisions relating to grants to be given to universities shall be as prescribed.
12. Functions, Duties And Powers And Terms And Conditions Of Service Of Chairperson
(2) The Chairperson shall be an official working for full time.
13. Secretariat Of Commission
(1) There shall be a secretariat for functioning and administrative activities of the commission.
(2) The Secretary shall operate daily business of the commission under the supervision of the Chairperson.
(3) Government of Nepal shall appoint the Secretary.
(4) The term of office of the Secretary shall be of four years.
(5) The functions, duties, powers, remuneration and facilities of the Secretary shall be as prescribed
14. Provisions Relating To Employees
(2) The potions, qualification and remuneration and other facilities of the employees needed for the commission shall be as prescribed.
15. Fund Of Commission
(1) There shall be a separate fund of the commission and the following amounts shall be deposited in the fund: â
(a) Amounts received from Government of Nepal,
(b) Amounts received from international organization, association or foreign government or agency,
(c) Amounts received from any other source.
(2) In case the commission has to receive any amount pursuant to Clause (b) of Sub-section (1), it shall be received through Government of Nepal.
(3) Amounts to be collected in the fund of the commission shall be deposited at any bank in Nepal and the operation of the account shall be as prescribed.
(4) Entire expenses to be made by the commission shall be borne from the fund referred to in Sub-section (1)
16. Accounts And Auditing
(1) Accounts of income and expenditure of the commission shall be maintained as per the prevailing laws.
(2) Auditing of the commission shall be carried out by the office of the Auditor General.
(3) Government of Nepal may, if it deems appropriate, inspect or cause to inspect the books and accounts of income and expenditure of the commission at any time whatsoever.
17. Delegation Of Powers
The commission may delegate some of powers conferred on it pursuant to this Act or Rules frames thereunder to the
Chairperson, members, Secretary, committee or sub-committee of the commission or on any other employee as may be necessary
18. Liaison With Government Of Nepal
Ministry of Education, Culture and Social Welfare shall liaison to the commission while making contact with the Government of Nepal.
19. Powers To Frame Rules
In order to fulfill objectives of this Act, the commission may frame necessary Rules and such Rules shall be enforced only after the approval by Government of Nepal.
(Source: Nepal Law Commission)
Disclaimer: NepalArchives.Com has published The University Grants Commission Act, 2050 (1993 AD) for the purpose of reference and information only, which were obtained from Nepal Government sources. If you found any discrepancies or misinformation with the content in this webpage, please kindly let us know and also refer to authorized sources of Nepal Government to get certified version of The University Grants Commission Act, 2050 (1993 AD). NepalArchives.Com taken no guaranty of authenticity or existing validity of the contents in this webpage.