1. Short Title & Commencement
1. Short Title & Commencement :
(1) These Rules may be called “Passport Rules, 2067 (2010)”.
(2) These Rules shall come into force from the date specified by the Government of Nepal by publishing a notice in Nepal Gazette.
2. Definition : Unless the subject or context otherwise requires in these Rules.
(a) “Office” means the central passport office that has been established pursuant to Rule 3.
(b) “Mission” means Nepalese Embassy Nepalese Consulate General, Consul General, Permanent mission or special mission situated abroad.
(c) “Ministry” means Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
(d) “Travel Document” means Travel Document issued pursuant to Rule 15.
(e) “Act” means Passport Act, 2024.
3. Establishment Of Central Passport Office
(3) Central Passport Office may establish Branch Office out of the Kathmandu Valley as per the need.
4. Functions Of The Office
4. Functions of the Office :
(1) The office shall perform the following functions :â
(a) To issue the Machine Readable Passport pursuant to the standard specified by the Document 9303 of International Civil Aviation organization (ICAO),
(b) To submit the model of the passport to the Government of Nepal for approval after preparing the model and to distribute the passport as in the approval model,
(c) To distribute the passport making required inquiry on the application received for the passport,
(d) To take application for travel document and to issue travel document,
(e) To keep the record related to the issued passport and travel document safe in electronic form,
(f) To perform other necessary activities related to the management of the passport,
(g) To perform other functions assigned by the Government of Nepal.
(2) The office may delegate the authority (power) of issuing of the general passport pursuant to these Rules to other agencies or missions of Government of Nepal.
5. Types (categories) Of Passport
5. Types (categories) of Passport :
To the Nepalese Citizen visiting abroad, the passport may be issued as in following category :â
(a) Diplomatic Passport
(b) Special Passport,
6. Color Of The Outer Page Of The Passport
(1) The color of the outer page of the passport that has to be distributed pursuant to Rule 5 shall be as follows :â
(a) Diplomatic passport in Red vermine color,
(b) Special passport in Sky blue color,
(c) General passport in Green color.
(2) In the outer page of the passport, the detail making the identity of category of the passport and the seal of Government of Nepal shall be printed.
7. Application To Be Submitted For Passport
7. Application to be submitted for passport :
(1) Nepalese citizen desiring to take the passport shall submit two copies of the application in the format as prescribed in schedule â 2 before the office as pursuant to the schedule â 1 along with the original of certificate of Nepalese citizenship and its duplicate.
(2) In the application submitted pursuant to Sub-rule(1) four copies of photograph as prescribed in schedule – 3 and the fee as pursuant to schedule – 4 shall be attached with.
(3) If the minors of a Nepalese citizen not attaining the sixteen years of age have to take the passport then his/her father, mother or guardian shall submit the application pursuant to Sub-rule(1) on his/her behalf along with the minors’ identity card and its duplicate and a document showing the detail of being a guardian. While submitting an application thus, the citizenship certificate of father, mother or guardian of the minors shall be attached.
8. Passport To Be Issued
8. Passport to be issued : (1) If the application, submitted for passport pursuant to Rule 7, to the Regional Administration Office, District Administration Office or in mission, deemed appropriate to issue the passport upon making inquiry of the received documents by that office or mission, It shall be sent along with a recommendation and one copy of original application, photos and documents to the office, keeping its record.
(2) While making inquiry on the application of passport pursuant to Sub-rule(1), if it deemed not appropriate to issue a passport to the applicant due to insufficiency of necessary documents, the Regional Administration Office, District Administration office or mission shall provide the information of it to the applicant at the time of registration of the application.
(3) While sending the documents along with a recommendation to the office pursuant to Sub-rule(1), the Regional Administration Office, District Administration office or mission shall generally send it within one week of completion of the inquiry upon the application submitted for the passport.
(4) The office shall issue the machine readable passport in the format pursuant to Rule 9, by making the necessary inquiry on the application and documents received before the office pursuant to these Rules.
9. Format Of The Passport
9. Format of the passport : The format of the Machine Readable Passport that has to be issued pursuant to these Rules shall be as determined (specified) by the Government of Nepal.
10. Refuse May Be Made To Issue The Passport
10. Refuse may be made to issue the passport : (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in Rule 8, If written request has been made from the concerned body the office may refuse to issue the passport to the following person :â
(a) If a case has being processed according to law in the charge of an offence related to the passport or
immigration or a punishment has being implemented (experienced) after being proved a culprit from the court,
(b) Enlisted in the black list being unable to pay the loan of a bank or financial institution, pursuant to
(c) Being convicted/trialed in the charge of corruption or money laundering or experiencing the penalty
after being proved culprit from the court,
(d) Being convicted/trialed in the charge related to human trafficking or abduction or transaction of
narcotic drugs or experiencing the penalty after being proved culprit from the court, (e) Banned (stopped) to visit abroad by the court or an order has been issued not to issue the passport,
(f) Having the provision of passport to be suspended or not to be issued as pursuant to the law.
(2) If the office has refused to issue a passport pursuant to Sub rule( 1), the information of it shall be given to the concerned applicant within three days.
(3) In the offences pursuant to Clauses (a), (c) and (d) of Sub rule( 1) if acquaintance (clearance) has been received from the court or after the completion (execution) of the penalty made as according to law, it shall not be considered that this Rule restricts to issue passport to such Nepalese.
(4) If it has been received in the written form from the concerned authority that the situation pursuant to Clauses (b), (e) and (f) does not exist, then it does not restrict to issue the passport to such Nepalese.
11. Passport Distribution
11. Passport Distribution : (1) If the application of any person has been received for the passport pursuant to these Rules, the office shall provide the passport to the concerned applicant.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-rule(1) if the application has been received in the office via (through) the Regional Administration Office, District Administration Office or Mission pursuant to Rule 7, the office may send the passport for distributing to the concerned applicant via (through) the concerned Regional Administration Office, District Administration Office or Mission. Provided that, if the applicant desires to receive the passport from the office, the passport may be provide to the concerned applicant from the office by taking the duplicate copy of details of identification of the applicant.
12. Diplomatic Passport
12. Diplomatic Passport : (1) The office shall issue a diplomatic passport in Gratis, to the following officials visiting abroad for the purpose of Governmental functions, if written request has been received from the concerned constitutional body or Ministry.
(b) Vice President,
(c) Prime Minister,
(d) Chief Justice,
(f) Ex-Head of State,
(g) Deputy Prime Minister,
(i) Opposition leader in legislature parliament,
(j) Ex-vice President and Head of the Government,
(k) Deputy Speaker in Parliament, State Minister, Vice Chairperson of National Planning Commission,
(l) Justice of the Supreme Court,
(m) Assistant Minister, Members of Legislature Parliament, Members of Judicial Council, Chief of
Army Staff, Members of National Planning Commission,
(n) Chief Official of the Constitutional bodies and other officials, Governor of Nepal Rastra Bank
(o) Chief Secretary of Government of Nepal,
(p) General Secretary of Legislature Parliament,
(q) Chief Judge of Appellate Court,
(r) Secretary of Government of Nepal or Secretaries of Civil Service, Nepal Health Service, Parliament
Service or Officers of Special class,
(s) Judges of Appellate Courts, Special class officers of Nepal Army, Nepal Police, Armed Police, and
(t) Chief Metropolitan Cities,
(u) Nepalese Ambassadors, Permanent Representative of Nepal for the United States, Chief of Mission,
(v) Gazetted Officer of Nepal Foreign Service,
(w) The members of the delegation involving in the state and official visit of the president and official visit of vice president as according to the decision of the Government of Nepal, council of Ministers (x) The members of the delegation involving in the official visit of the Prime Minister as according to the decision of the Government of Nepal Council of Ministers,
(y) The members of the delegates visiting abroad representing the Government of Nepal to participate in the General Assembly, Special Assembly of the United Nations Organization and General Assembly of other Special Agencies of the organization, General Assembly of Asian Development Bank, International and Regional
Summit including South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Summit and Ministerial meeting as according to the decision of the Government of Nepal Council of Ministers.
(z) Employees deployed in the missions and their
Explanation : For the purpose of this Clause “Family members” means “Husband, wife, son, unmarried daughter
adopted son, unmarried adopted daughter, father, mother or step mother residing with him/her and who has to be
taken cared by himself/ herself and this word also refers to their Grandfather in case of male and unmarried female
employees and mother in law and father in law in case of married female employee”.
(aa) Person deployed in special mission representing the Government of Nepal, and
(ab) Specified person designated for any specific purpose making to be provided a diplomatic passport by a decision of the Government of Nepal.
(2) The valid period of the passport that has to be issued pursuant to Sub-rule(1) shall be as specified by the office making consideration of the tenure of such passport holder in the present post. Provided that, in case of the person mentioned in Clause (t) and (x) of Sub-rule(1), passport may be issued to remain valid for five years.
(3) If the husband or wife of the official holding diplomatic passport visiting abroad for the purpose of Government function has been visiting together, diplomatic passport may be issued also for him/her.
(4) Out of the delegate members participating in the visit, conference, seminar or meeting mentioned in Clauses (w), (Ã), and (y) of Sub-rule(1), others except than those official who have eligible to hold diplomatic passport pursuant to these Rules shall return diplomatic passport in the office within the fifteen days of the end of such travel.
If it has not been returned within that time, the office shall cancel that passport.
13. Official Passport
(c) Chairperson of the District Development Committee or Chief of the sub metropolitan city and municipality,
(d) Vice Chancellors of the Universities established by the Government of Nepal, Nepal Academy and Nepalese Academy of Science and Technology, and
(e) Specific persons designated for any specific purpose making to be provided an official passport by a decision of the Government of Nepal.
(2) The valid period of the passport that has to be issued pursuant to Sub-rule(1) may be issued maximum for ten years of valid period also considering the service tenure of the passport holder.
14. Ordinary Passport
14. Ordinary Passport : (1) The office may issue an ordinary passport to a Nepalese citizen and his/her children who has not attaining (completing) sixteen years of age.
(2) The passport issued pursuant to Sub-rule(1) shall remain valid for ten years from the date of issuance.
(3) An ordinary passport in Gratis may be issued to the other employees except than the Gazetted officers of the Government of Nepal, travelling abroad for the purpose of study in scholarship or study tour or training.
(4) An ordinary passport in Gratis may be issued to the Nepalese Soldier, Armed police and Police personnel of Nepal police deployed to join United Nations peace force, if the concerned body has made a request.
(5) The office may issue an ordinary passport under the urgent (express) service and while issuing such passport double fee shall be charged.
15. Travel Document
(d) In case of Nepalese children who has been adopted as adopted son or adopted daughter by foreign citizen (national) and a mission of the country of such national has not been established in Nepal or such mission does not issue passport or travel documents then if such foreign national (citizen) has applied before the central passport office along with the recommendation of Ministry of Women, Children and Social Welfare,
(2) The color of outer (cover) page of the travel document shall be black.
(3) The office may issue a travel document if it finds appropriate to issue the travel document to the person applying for it upon the inquiry of the application received pursuant to Sub-rule(1).
(4) The validity of the travel documents to be issued pursuant to Sub-rule(1) shall be as prescribed by such travel document issuing officer.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in these Rules, if any Nepalese citizen has been found lost either being helpless or purse less (money less) and also loosing passport in the foreign land, one way travel document in Gratis may be issued to send back him/her making immediate rescue of him/her.
16. Provisional Passport
16. Provisional Passport: (1) If the valid period of a passport of a Nepalese passport holder residing abroad has been expired, lost or destroyed or became useless because of being rag and he/she has submitted an application to make a new passport then a provisional passport may be issued from the mission to him/her till the machine readable passport has been issued.
(2) The passport issued pursuant to Sub-rule(1) shall be valid generally for six months from the date of issuance.
(3) The format of the provisional passport shall be as prescribed by the Ministry.
(4) While issuing a new passport to the applicant, the mission shall cancel the provisional passport after withdrawing it.
17. Fee For Passport Or Travel Document
17. Fee for Passport or Travel Document: (1) The person desiring to receive an ordinary passport, a travel document or a provisional passport shall pay (submit) the fee as prescribed in schedule-4.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-rule(1), Except in the special circumstances if a new passport has to be taken because of tearing the page, being written in the page or destroyed the passport due to other reason or being lost a new passport shall be issued by taking the double fee of the charge to be charged pursuant to these Rules for such passport.
Explanation: For the purpose of this Rule “Special circumstance” means a circumstances of natural calamities such as fire, earth quake, floods etc.
18. New Passport Not To Be Issued
(b) If an ordinary passport holder has submitted an application to acquire a diplomatic or official passport,
(c) If a passport has become unreadable being older or has become damaged being torn,
(d) If the required pages for receiving the visa or to make endorsement has not been available in the passport due to all pages in the passport being
(e) If an application has been submitted along with the application submitted by the passport holder in the local police office in relation to the lost of a
passport and the report given by the police office with details for proving the lost of passport,
(f) If the valid period of an ordinary passport has been expired or if an application has been submitted to acquire a new passport by submitting such passport,
(g) If the travel document obtained (received) pursuant to Clause (a) of Sub-rule(1) of Rule 15 and provisional passport obtained (received), pursuant
to Rule 16 has been submitted.
(2) While taking (acquiring) a new passport pursuant to Subrule( 1) the procedure pursuant to Rule 7 shall be completed.
19. Cancellation Of A Passport To Be Notified
19. Cancellation of a passport to be notified: (1) While issuing a new passport pursuant to Clause (e) of Sub-rule(1) of Rule 18, the office shall provide the notice of cancellation of lost passport mentioning the Number of the lost passport and the details of the person in whose name the passport has been issued to the concerned office of Government of Nepal and foreign missions established in Nepal and Interpol Office situated in Nepal.
(2) If an application has been received in a mission for obtaining a new passport after being lost of a passport of any Nepalese citizen abroad such mission shall provide the notice of cancellation of lost passport mentioning the number of lost passport and the details of the person in whose name the passport has been issued to the office, local immigration office and foreign mission.
(3) While issuing a new passport pursuant to Sub-rule(1) of Rule 18, a matter prescribed by the Ministry shall be mentioned in that passport.
20. Record To Be Maintained
20. Record to be maintained : (1) The office or a mission shall maintain the record of the passport and travel document that has to be issued pursuant to these Rules, in the format as prescribed in schedule-5.
(2) The details of provisional passport issued from a mission shall be provided to the office in every three month
21. Amendments In A Passport And Travel Document
21. Amendments in a passport and travel document : (1) Generally any amendment shall not be made on the details mentioned on the machine readable passport or travel documents that has been issued pursuant to these Rules.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in Sub-rule(1), if any details mentioned in a passport or travel documents has to be amended, the holder of the passport or travel document shall submit an application mentioning the reasons for the purpose.
(3) If an amendment has to be made on the already prepared passport because of mentioning the wrong detail (information) by the applicant in the application that has been submitted for passport or travel document, an application shall be submitted pursuant to these Rules along with repayment of fee for the new passport or travel document.
(4) Upon the inquiry made on the application received pursuant to Sub-rule(2) or (3), if it deemed appropriate to issue a new passport or a travel document with the amendment, a new passport or a travel document may be issued.
22. Provisions On The Use Of A Passport
(1) The passport holder shall use the diplomatic passport or official passport which has been issued pursuant to these Rules only for the purpose for which purpose it has been issued.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained anywhere in this Rule, a person holding a public post may hold a diplomatic or an official passport with him/her until the period he/she has been holding such post.
Provided that, such passport may not be used except in the foreign visit that has to be made for the purpose of the function of Government of Nepal.
(3) The official visiting abroad in the context of Government function as according to the decision of the Government of Nepal shall use the passport that has been issued as according to his/her position.
23. Inspection And Supervision May Be Made
(1) The secretary of the Ministry or chief of the office may inspect and supervise or made inspected or supervised the functions and activities of the office, mission or District Administration Office in relation to the collection of the
application , inquiry, distribution and record management of passport in time to time. After such inspection and supervision a report has to be submitted before the Ministry.
(2) If any weakness has to be reformed in any matter as according to the received report pursuant to Sub-rule(1), Necessary directive may be given to the concerned body making a study on such matter.
(3) It shall be the duty of the concerned body to obey the directive issued (given) pursuant to Sub-rule(2).
24. Special Provision Related To Provisional Passport
24. Special provision related to provisional passport : Notwithstanding anything contained anywhere in these Rules, if the ordinary passports that has been printed and used by the Ministry at the time of commencement of these Rules may be issued for temporary use till then that have been available in the stock.
25. Power To Frame The Directive
25. Power to frame the directive : Subject to the Act and these Rules Ministry may issue the necessary circulars and frame a directive to implement these Rules.
26. Power To Alter The Schedule
26. Power to alter the schedule : Ministry may make alteration in the schedules as per the necessity, by publishing a notice in Nepal Gazette.
27. Repeal And Saving
(1) Passport Rules, 2059 has been repealed.
(2) The functions and activities that has been taken place (performed) pursuant to the Passport Rules, 2059 shall be deemed (considered) to be performed pursuant to these Rules.
Schedule Ã¢ââ 1
Schedule â 1
(Related to Sub-rule(1) of Rule 7)
The Offices and Missions where the application for Passport has to be Submitted
An application has to be submitted for the passport or travel document in the following offices, missions or District Administration Offices :â
1. For a diplomatic passport or an official passport in the office or mission.
2. For an ordinary passport in the office, mission or in Regional Administration Office or District Administration Office in the permanent address of the applicant.
3. An application for passport may be submitted in the concerned District Administration Office completing the following procedure in following circumstances :â
(a) In case of husband or wife in the District Administration Office of the permanent residence or in the District Administration Office of present residence,
(b) In case of migrants who has migrated from the district of issuance of citizenship certificate, in the District Administration Office of Present residence,
(c) If the birthplace, address and citizenship certificate has been taken from different districts, then in the District Administration Office which has been issuing the citizenship certificate,
(d) In case of the employees working in the Government office and Government agencies and their families, in the recommendation of the office where he/she has been working, in District Administration Office of the same district or in the office.
(e) In case of the teachers and employees working in the universities and schools and their families, if the recommendation has been made from the educational institutions then in District Administration Office when he/she has been working.
Explanation : For the purpose of this Clause “Family members” means “Husband, wife, son, unmarried daughter adopted son, unmarried adopted daughter, father, mother or step mother residing with him/her and who has to be taken cared by himself/ herself and this word also refers to their Grandfather in case of male and unmarried female employees and mother in law and father in law in case of married female employee”.
4. For travel document in the office or missions.
5. For provisional passport in the missions.
Schedule Ã¢ââ 2
Schedule â 2
(Related to Sub-rule(1) of Rule 7)
Government of Nepal
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Central Passport Office
PASSPORT APPLICATION FORM
Please fill in each box with one character and leave an empty box for space. Use only
1. Surname :
2. Given Names :
3. Place of Birth : 4. Nationality :
5. Date of Birth :
5A. A.D. 5B. B.S. 6. Sex :
7. Citizenship or Permit No. : 8. Date of Issue B.S. (Year/Month/Day) :
9. Place of Issue : 10. Old Passport or Travel Document No. :
10A. Date of Issue A.D. : 10B. Place of Issue :
11. Address : 11A. District :
11B. Municipality/VDC : 11C. Ward No. :
11D. Town/Village : 11E. House No. :
12. Email : 13. Phone No. :
14. Next of Kin :
14A. Fullname :
14B. Address :
14C. District :
14D. Municipality/VDC : 14E. Ward No. :
14F. Town/Village : 14G. House No. :
15. Relationship : 16. Phone No.
17. Email :
Applicant’s Signature : Date : ……………..
Name & Signature : ……………………….
Designation: ……………… Date : ……………..
FOR OFFICE USE ONLY
Please fill in the appropriate box with an “X” mark. Validity Application Source & Name Name years Months
CPO District Mission Revenue Receipt No
Application Type Regular Emergency New Lost Renewal Date
Document Type Ordinary Diplomatic Official Travel Document Year Month Day
Schedule Ã¢ââ 3
Schedule â 3
(Related to Sub-rule(2) of Rule 7)
The Details of the photograph that has to be attached for a
passport or travel documents
Schedule Ã¢ââ 4
Schedule â 4
(Related to Sub-rule(2) of Rule 7)
1. For ordinary passport :
(a) If an application has been submitted for passport in Nepal then per passport five thousand rupees.
(b) If an application has been submitted in the missions situated North and South American countries, Australia, Newzeland, Japan, South Korea, Israel and Hongkong then per passport US$ 150 (One Hundred Fifty American Dollar) or equivalent local currency.
(c) If an application has been submitted in the missions situated in the European countries then per passport Euro 120 (One Hundred Twenty Euro) or equivalent local currency.
(d) If an application has been submitted in the missions situated in other Asian, African and all remaining countries then per passport US$ 80 (Eighty American Dollar) or equivalent currency.
2. For Travel Documents :
(a) Per travel document that has to be issued from the office, Two Thousand Rupees.
(b) Per travel document that has be issued from the missions US$ 40 (American Dollar Forty) or equivalent local currency.
3. For provisional passport, per provisional passport US$ 20 (Twenty American Dollar) or equivalent local currency
Schedule Ã¢ââ 5
(Source: Nepal Law Commission)
Disclaimer: NepalArchives.Com has published Passport Rules, 2067 (2010) for the purpose of reference and information only, which were obtained from Nepal Government sources. If you found any discrepancies or misinformation with the content in this webpage, please kindly let us know and also refer to authorized sources of Nepal Government to get certified version of Passport Rules, 2067 (2010). NepalArchives.Com taken no guaranty of authenticity or existing validity of the contents in this webpage.