Lottery Act, 2025 (1968)
Lottery Act, 2025 (1968)
Date of authentication and publication
2025-7-9 (25 Oct. 1968)
Republic Strengthening and Some Nepal Laws
Amendment Act, 2066, 20101
2066-10-7 (21 Jan. 2010)
Act Number 22 of the year 2025 (1968)
An Act made to provide for provisions to impose restriction on lottery
Preamble: Whereas, it is expedient to impose restriction on sale, distribution and operation of lottery in order to maintain good conduct and economic interest of general public.
Now, therefore, be it enacted by His Majesty the King Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev on the advice and with the consent of Rastrya Panchayat.
1. Short Title, Extension and Commencement:
(1) This Act may be called “Lottery Act, 2025”.
(2) This Act shall be extended throughout Nepal.
(3) This Act shall come in to force immediately.
2. Prohibition on sale, distribution and opening of lottery:
Saving the permission granted by the Government of Nepal pursuant to Section 3 of this Act, no person shall commit or cause to commit any of the following acts;
(a) To open, print or publish any lottery, or
(b) To sell or distribute any lottery or to provide lottery for sale, distribution or advertisement, or
This Act came into force on 15 Jeshta 2065 (2008), Prasasti and the word “kingdom” has been
(c) To print an advertisement related to lottery, to publish, sell or distribute thereof or to take in own custody for the said purpose; or
(d) Save the permission granted by the Government of Nepal, to bring or import any lottery or advertisement thereof from a foreign country in order to sell or distribute or to send income earned from such sale or distribution of the lottery or any inventory related to the sale or distribution of such lottery outside Nepal, or
(e) To use or cause to use any building or land for carrying out any act related to lottery.
3. The Government of Nepal may grant permission to open lottery:
(1) In case any person or organization intends to open lottery may submit an application in writing with particulars of such lottery to the Government of Nepal and if such application in submitted, the Government of Nepal
may, if it concludes to be reasonable, grant permission to open lottery.
(2) Any person or organization permitted pursuant to sub-section (1) may, subject to the following terms and conditions, carry out including sale, distribution and operation of lottery,
(a) Only an organization shall be entitled to open lottery in case such lottery is related to collect money for any
charitable or public interest related function and in case lottery is so opened Sixty percent amount from the
total amount received from the sale of the lottery shall be distributed for award and the concerned
organization may use remaining amount for the function related to charity, public interest and operation of the lottery.
(b) Except the lottery opened to collect money for charitable or public interest related functions, the prize
of other lottery shall not be distributed in cash rather and goods equivalent to the value of Seventy Five
percent amount of the total amount obtained from the sale of the lottery shall be distributed as a prize. The
concerned person or organization that operates lottery may be entitled to take residual amount for profit and
the function related to the operation of lottery.
(c) Each copy of lottery shall contain the following matters;
1. Price of lottery
2. Details of prize
3. Opening Venue of lottery
4. The Name of the organization authorized to
sell, distribute or operate lottery.
5. Serial number of lottery
6. Opening and closing date of lottery
7. The date of permission obtained from the Government of Nepal or authorized official for
the operation of lottery.
(d) In case permission was granted to open and operate lottery in any public exhibition place or club or society,
the sale, distribution and operation of lottery shall not be carried out in any place other than such a permitted
(e) Price of each lottery must be equal.
(f) Lottery shall not be sold until the total price thereof is
(g) Lottery once sold shall not be refundable.
(h) The procedure prescribed in Rules framed under this Act shall be followed.
(3) The Government of Nepal may, by a Notification in Nepal Gazette, issue an order in respect of prescribing total capital and determining the price of each lottery.
4. Change in Prize: In case all of the lottery could not be sold as per the total capital prescribed in lottery by closing date, the concerned person or organization may proportionately modify the prize as per the lottery sold
till the said date.
5. Power to arrest and search: In case a Deputy inspector of police or a superior police officer finds a reasonable ground that a person has committed or caused to commit an act contrary to this Act or abetted to commit such act may arrest such person, search building or land and seize any goods related to offence.
6. Delegation of Power: The Government of Nepal may, by a Notification in Nepal Gazette, delegate power conferred to it pursuant to Section 3, to any officer prescribed in such notification.
7. Penalty: whoever commits any act contrary to this Act shall be liable to a fine as per the proved amount claimed by plaintiff or to an imprisonment not exceeding Six months or the both and the said claimed amount shall be
8. Power to frame Rules: The Government of Nepal may frame Rules to implement the objectives of the Act.
9. To be according to this Act: Matters set forth in this Act and Rules framed there under shall be governed pursuant to the same and other matters shall be governed pursuant to the prevailing law.
10. Repeal: Royal seal issued in respect of granting permission to open lottery for charitable organization in 2009 BS Chaitra 6 Thursday is, hereby repealed.
(Source: Nepal Law Commission)
Disclaimer: NepalArchives.Com has published Lottery Act, 2025 (1968) for the purpose of reference and information only, which were obtained from Nepal Government sources. If you found any discrepancies or misinformation with the content in this webpage, please kindly let us know and also refer to authorized sources of Nepal Government to get certified version of Lottery Act, 2025 (1968). NepalArchives.Com taken no guaranty of authenticity or existing validity of the contents in this webpage.