|1. Additional Post Office (First Amendment)
Rules, 2041 (1984)
|2041/8/25 (Dec. 10, 1984)
|2. Additional Post Office (Second Amendment)
Rule, 2049 (1992)
|2049/1/8 (April 20, 1992)
The Government of Nepal, having exercised the power conferred by Section 69 of the Postal Act, 2019 (1982) has enacted the following Rules.
1. Short Title And Commencement
(1) These Rules may be called the “Additional Post Office Rules, 2034 (1977).
(2) These Rules shall come into force immediately.
Unless the subject or context otherwise requites, in these Rules,
(a) “Inspector” means the Inspector of the District Post Office.
(b) “Postal Agent” means the main person appointed for the operation of additional post office.
(c) “Delivery person” means the person appointed for delivery of the postal items from the additional post office.
(d) “Mail carrier” means the person appointed for carrying the mail from the additional post office to the concerned post office and bringing the mail from the concerned post office to the additional
(e) “Concerned post office” means a government post office prescribed by the Regional Postal Director to dispatch mail, provide postage stamps and other valuable postal items to the additional post office and to accomplish other relevant function.
3. Establishment Of Additional Post Office
3. Establishment of Additional Post Office:
(1) The Postal Services Department may establish an additional post office in a particular place. The additional post office established in this way shall have temporary status up to the period of one year.
(2) In the case of being generated the amount up to one third of the expenditure of operation of the additional post office within one year from its establishment, the 1Regional Postal Director shall recommend to the Postal Services Department to give permanent status to such post office.
(3) The Postal Services Department, upon reception of the recommendation under Sub-rule (2), may grant approval of permanent status of the additional post office.
(4) In case of failure to be generated the amount up to one third of the expenditure necessary to operate the post office within one year of establishment of the additional post office, the period of such post office may be extended for up to two times at the rate of one year. The Regional Postal Director, in case of failure to be generated the aforementioned amount of expenditure within the extended period even extending such period, may dismiss the additional post office or shift elsewhere in the place of transaction by obtaining prior approval of the
Postal Services Department.
4. Official Hour Of The Additional Post Office
(1) The official hour of the additional post office shall be as prescribed by the Regional Postal Director.Provided that, the said time shall be no less than 2 hour per day in any way.
(2) In regard to the official hour of the additional post office, a notice written in clear and bold letters should be publicly displayed, and in case of amendment of the time, it should be published prior to at least Seven days.
5. Function Of The Concerned Post Office
5. Function of the Concerned Post Office:
The function of the concerned post office shall be as follows:
(a) To give the valuable postal documents like postage stamp, envelope with stamp, aerogram etc. for the operation of post office to the postal agent without security up to One Thousand Rupees, by taking pledge up to Two Thousand Rupees and as prescribed by the Director General for above than the said limits; and it may be automatically increased at the rate of Fifty percent after Five years and Cent percent after the subsequent Five years (Ten years in total).
(b) To pay the amount of stationary cost, remuneration and other amount specified for the additional post office in lump sum to the postal agent; and to keep a receipt thereof by getting signed by the postal agent.
(c) To collect the monthly statement of expenditure of the additional post office and to forward the same to the Postal Services Department from time to time
(d) To check up the postage stamp, cash and other valuable postal documents contained in the additional post office and all the activities thereof.
(e) To maintain the account of permanent goods of the additional post office.
6. Function And Duties Of The Inspector
The function and duties of the inspector in regard to the additional post office shall be as follows:
(a) To inspect the additional post offices within the district once in 6 months in general.
(b) To submit the report of inspection to the District Post Office and to forward one copy of the same to the 3 Regional Postal Directorate.
(c) To make necessary cooperation to solve the problem of the additional post office in course of inspection.
7. Appointment Of The Staff
7. Appointment of the Staff:
(1) The official specified by the Postal Services Department or the Regional Postal Director shall appoint the
postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier.
(2) A bond in the format of Schedule – 1 should have been got signed before holding the duty of post by the postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier.
(3) The postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier shall have to take oath in the format of Schedule – 2 before holding the duty of post.
(4) The official responsible to appoint under Sub-rule (1) shall have to give the name and address of the additional post office, name, address, age, qualification, bond and other details of the postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier appointed for operation of the said post office to the concerned post office and one copy of the same 4â¦.. should have been forwarded to the Regional Postal Directorate and Postal Services Department.
9. Priority For Appointing The Postal Agent
9. Priority for Appointing the Postal Agent:
(1) Generally the following person shall be given priority respectively while appointing as the postal agent:
(a) A person recommended in written by the 5Village Development Committee or Municipality.
(b) A person recommended by a Gazetted Officer of Government of Nepal.
(c) A teacher involved in a school under the 6Village Development Committee or Municipality.
(d) A local shopkeeper having his permanent business.
(2) Notwithstanding anything written in Sub-rule (2), the official responsible for appointment, if he deems right, may appoint any one among those mentioned above to the post of postal agent.
10. Facility Of Leave
(1) The postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier of the additional post office may obtain the following leave
within a year:
(a) Casual leave Three days.
(b) Sickness leave Six days.
(c) Home leave Twelve days.
(1) Leave other than sickness leave cannot be taken more than Two days
once in general.
(2) Leave of a year cannot be taken in the next year.
(2) One shall be paid full remuneration for any kind of leave.
(3) The leave shall be only the facility and it is not a matter of right.
11. Official Granting Leave
(1) The following official may grant leave to the following person:
(a) The postmaster of the concerned post office to the postal agent.
(b) Postal agent to the delivery person and mail carrier.
(2) While granting leave, it should be granted on condition of not to be disturbed the function of additional post office.
The postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier shall be paid the remuneration as prescribed by the Postal Services
14. Function And Duties Of The Delivery Person
14. Function and Duties of the Delivery Person:
The function and duties of the delivery person shall be as follows:
(a) To make delivery of the postal items in the prescribed area (delivery bit).
(b) To keep the evidence of delivery of postal items by getting certified from the postal agent.
(c) To act for the postal agent during his taking leave.
Provided that, he shall not be paid any additional remuneration for acting for the postal agent during his leave.
15. Function Of The Mail Carrier
The mail carrier shall perform the function of carrying the mail from the additional post office to the concerned post office and exchange point of mail and bringing the mail from the concerned post office to the additional post office and exchange point of mail.
16. Not To Be Deemed The Employee Of The Government Of Nepal
The postal agent, delivery person or mail carrier appointed under these Rules shall not be deemed as the employee of the Government of Nepal.
17. To Be Made Hand Over Of Charge By The Postal Agent
The postal agent while leaving the job of his post, shall hand over all the postage stamp, valuable postal documents and all other cash and goods under his charge.
18. Settlement Of Dispute
18. Settlement of Dispute
In case of any dispute between the concerned post office and the additional post office regarding any issue, it shall be
carried on as per the direction of the Regional Postal Director.
19. Empowerment Of The Regional Postal Director To Take Action
19. Empowerment of the Regional Postal Director to Take Action:
(1) The Regional Postal Director may reprimand or dismiss the postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier failing to accomplish the function in consonance with these Rules.
(2) The Regional Postal Director, in the case of causing any loss to the Government of Nepal or any other person by the postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier either intentionally or by negligence or by failing to abide by the Rules and orders, may recover the said loss from the concerned postal agent, delivery person and mail carrier by
deducting fully and partially from his remuneration.
(3) The concerned postal agent, delivery person or mail carrier may complain to the 8Director General of the Postal Services Department against the action taken under Sub-rule (1) or (2) by the Regional Postal Director and the decision of the 9Director General of the Postal Services Department shall be final in such case.
The Additional Post Office Rules, 2019 (1962) are, hereby, repealed.
N.B.: Terms transformed by the Additional Post Office (Second Amendment) Rules, 2049 (1992):- “Regional Postal Director” in lieu of “Controller”
Schedule – 1 (relating To Sub-rule (2) Of Rule 7) Bond
It is hereby written by Mr. â¦.. aged â¦. years, the son/daughter of Mr. â¦.. the grandson/granddaughter of Mr. â¦.., a resident of â¦â¦. Village Development Committee/Municipality Ward No. â¦.., â¦.. District, â¦â¦ Zone that I shall
maintain safety and soundness of the cash and goods to be obtained in the name of the Additional Post Office from the governmental or nongovernmental sector that I shall sell the postage stamp and other valuable postal documents
received from the concerned post office for sale by levying the prescribed price that I shall accomplish the function of sorting of postal items, operation of mail and delivery in an honest and regular manner without any bad intention,
negligence or partiality that I shall bear and pay under the prevailing law of Nepal in the case of my embezzlement of any government property or accomplish any function against the Postal Act, 2002, Additional Post Office
Rules, 1977, other Post Office Rules or the received Direction and that I, having stated the aforementioned content with my free will and consent, have prepared this bond and submitted to the Government of Nepal through â¦â¦
Done on â¦.. year, â¦â¦ month â¦â¦. Date â¦â¦. Day.
Schedule – 2 Relating To Sub-rule (3) Of Rule 7) Form Of Taking Oath
I Mr./Ms. â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦ solemnly take oath that I, as a postal agent/delivery person/mail carrier of the Additional Post Office, shall honestly accomplish my prescribed duty to the best of my knowledge and conscience, being loyal to the
country, avoiding partiality, fear or jealousy, greed and prejudice and that I shall not reveal directly or indirectly or point the governmental confidential matter known by me in course of my job to any person other than an official
during my service period and after my service period also.
(Source: Nepal Law Commission)
Disclaimer: NepalArchives.Com has published Additional Post Office Rules, 2034 (1977) for the purpose of reference and information only, which were obtained from Nepal Government sources. If you found any discrepancies or misinformation with the content in this webpage, please kindly let us know and also refer to authorized sources of Nepal Government to get certified version of Additional Post Office Rules, 2034 (1977). NepalArchives.Com taken no guaranty of authenticity or existing validity of the contents in this webpage.