1. Short Title And Commencement
(1) This Order may be called as the “Vector-borne Disease Research and Training Development Board (Formation) Order, 2056 (2000)”.
(2) This Order shall come into force immediately.
Unless the subject or the context otherwise requires, in this Order,-
(a) “Board” means the Vector-borne Disease Research and Training Development Board formed pursuant to Section 3.
(b) “Chairperson” means the Chairperson of the Board.
(c) “Member” means the member of the Board, and this term also includes the Chairperson and Member secretary of the Board.
(d) “Executive Director” means the Executive Director appointed or designated pursuant to Section 6.
(e) “Prescribed or as prescribed” means prescribed or as prescribed by the Rules framed under this Order
3. Formation Of The Vector-borne Disease Research And Training Development Board
(1) A Board to be named as the Vector-borne Disease Research and Training Development Board is, hereby, formed with a view to preventing and controlling effectively the vector-borne diseases by disseminating information throughout the country by way of research works and similar other educational activities on such diseases.
(2) The Board referred to in Sub-section (1) shall consist of the following members:
(a) Director General, Department of Health Services -Chairperson
(b) Chief, Planning Division, Ministry of Health -Member
(c) Director, Epidemiology and Communicable Disease Control Division, Department of Health Services -Member
(d) Representative, Nepal Health Research Council -Member
(e) Three persons including at least one woman nominated by the Government of Nepal from amongst the social workers, experts or doctors involved in the nongovernmental sector who have rendered special contribution in the field related with public health or the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases since at least Ten years -Member
(f) Chief, Hetauda Hospital -Member
(g) Executive Director Secretary-Member
(3) The tenure of office of the nominated members shall be two years, and they may be re-nominated.
(4) The Board may, if it considers so necessary, invite any officer of the Government of Nepal or any native or foreign expert or adviser to attend its meeting as an observer.
4. Functions, Duties And Powers Of The Board
The functions, duties and powers of the Board shall be as follows:
(a) To conduct such research, survey and training programmes asmay be required to find out the causes of the vector-borne diseases and measures to cure such diseases.
(b) To do, or cause to be done, necessary study and research works on efficacy of the drugs used in the affected areas for the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases.
(c) To undertake research, training, teaching and counseling programmes on the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases as the regular programmes of the Board.
(d) To make the general public and the persons related with the bodies responsible for controlling the vector-borne diseases aware and vigilant about such diseases by launching requisite training and teaching programmes on the control and eradication of such diseases, and render assistance in the operation of such programmes.
(e) To formulate policies on the operation and management of the Board and supervise and monitor, or cause to be supervised and monitored, the implementation of such policies.
(f) To approve the policy, annual and periodic plans, programmes and budget of the Board and to arrange or cause to be arranged for necessary amounts for the same.
(g) To provide consultancy service, research service or laboratory service as well as physical facility to any individual or concerned bodies as to the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases, by collecting such service fees as may be determined by the Board.
(h) To submit recommendation, accompanied by suggestions as to the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases, along with research and survey reports conducted on the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases, to the Government of Nepal.
(i) In the event of any direction given by the Government of Nepal to the Board to implement any kind of agreement entered into between the Government of Nepal and any foreign government or organization or international organization concerning the control and eradication of the vector-borne diseases, to implement, or cause to be implemented, such an agreement.
(j) To appoint advisers and consultants, as required, for the operation of the activities of the Board smoothly.
(k) To carry out such other functions as may be required for the implementation of the objects of the Board.
5. Meetings And Decisions Of The Board
(1) The Board shall held at least four times a year at such place, time and date as may be specified by the chairperson of the Board.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Section, if at least one-third members of the Board make a submission in writing for holding a meeting of the Board, the member secretary of the Board shall have to call the meeting of the Board by giving information thereof to the chairperson.
(3) The member secretary of the Board shall give a notice of the meeting to the members generally in advance of at least seven days, and such a notice has to be accompanied by the agenda of the meeting.
(4) The presence of at least fifty percent members of the total number of members of the Board shall be deemed to constitute a quorum for the meeting of the Board.
(5) The meeting of the Board shall be presided over by the chairperson and by the member selected by the members from amongst themselves in the absence of the chairperson.
(6) The majority opinion shall prevail at the meeting of the Board; and in the event of a tie, the person presiding over the meeting shall exercise the casting vote. Provided that, in relation to decisions on approval of policies, plans, annual programmes, budget, organizational structure and positions of the Board, such decisions shall not be made unless at least six members agree thereon.
(7) The decisions of the Board shall be authenticated by the member-secretary of the Board.
(8) The other Rules of procedures relating to the meeting of the Board shall be as determined by the Board itself.
6. Provisions Relating To Appointment Of Executive Director
(1) The Government of Nepal shall, subject to Sub-section (2), appoint one Executive Director, as the administrative chief of the Board, for the operation of the day-to-day business of the Board.
(2) In appointing the Executive Director pursuant to Sub-section (1), one person shall be appointed to the office of Executive Director from amongst the persons who have gained at least five years of experience in activities relating to the control of vector-borne diseases after having done at least bachelor degree in medical science or at least master degree in biology or at least master degree in public health or PHD on vector-borne diseases.
(3) Until the Executive Director is appointed pursuant to Subsection (1), the Government of Nepal may designate any Gazette first class officer or equivalent officer to perform the functions of the Executive Director for a period not exceeding six months.
(4) The tenure of office of the Executive Director shall be Four years from the date of his or her appointment, and he or she may be reappointed.
7. Functions, Duties And Powers Of The Executive Director
(1) The functions, duties and powers of the Executive Director shall be as follows:
(a) To implement or cause to implement the plans and programmes approved by the Board.
(b) To prepare the short-term and long-term plans, annual programmes and budget of the Board and submit them to the Board for approval.
(c) To prepare annual and periodic reports of the plans and programmes operated by the Board and submit them to the Board.
(d) Either at his or her own initiative or at the request of any native or foreign person, organization, regional international organization or other customer or in response to an invitation to bid, to submit, or cause to be submitted, technical, financial and other proposals to such person, organization or customer for the provision of professional services such as training, research, consultancy and information dissemination within the scope of work of the Board.
(e) On behalf of the Board, to enter into a contract or agreement with any native or foreign person or organization or regional or international organization or other customer on the provision of various professional services or give approval to enter into such a contract or agreement.
(f) To implement or cause to implement the decisions of the Board, and to supervise and control the employees of the Board.
(g) To act as the administrative chief of the Board, and to carry out, or cause to be carried out, the day-today administrative activities of the Board, subject
to the policies of the Board and under his or her direction and control.
(h) To carry out other necessary functions for the smooth operation of the functions of the Board, subject to this Order and the Rules framed hereunder and the decisions made by the Board.
(2) The functions, duties and powers of the Executive Director, other than those set forth in Sub-section (1), shall be as prescribed.
8. Fund Of The Board
(1) The Board shall have a separate fund of its own.
(2) The following amounts shall be credited to the fund of the Board:
(a) Grants received from the Government of Nepal;
(b) Amounts received from any native person, organization or institution by way of aid, grant or loan;
(c) Amounts received from any foreign government or international organization or institution by way of aid, grant or loan;
(d) Amounts received from the services provided by the Board;
(e) Amounts received from other sources.
(3) The Board shall obtain approval of the Government of Nepal prior to obtaining any amounts referred to in Clause (c) of Sub-section (2).
(4) All expenses to be made on behalf of the Board shall be chargeable on the fund referred to in Sub-section (1).
(5) The moneys credited into the fund of the Board shall be deposited into an account opened with any commercial bank or financial institution in Nepal.
(6) The fund of the Board shall be operated in such manner as prescribed.
9. Accounts And Audit Of The Board
(1) The accounts of the incomes and expenditures of the Board shall be maintained in accordance with the prevailing laws.
(2) The audit of the Board shall be performed by the Office of Auditor General or an auditor designated by such Office.
(3) The Government of Nepal may inspect or cause to inspect the accounts of the fund of the Board, documents pertaining thereto, cash or goods in-kind at any time.
(4) The Board shall submit the audit report of each year, accompanied by the description of the activities done by it each year, to the Government of Nepal.
10. Provisions Relating To Employees
(1) The Board may, as required, create technical and administrative posts and appoint employees to such posts in such a manner that their salary and allowance shall be chargeable on the fund of the Board.
(2) The appointment, remuneration, facilities and other conditions of service of the employees shall be as prescribed.
11. Power To Form Sub-committees
(1) The Board may form subcommittees as prescribed for the performance of its functions.
(2) The functions, duties and powers and Rules of procedures of the sub-committees formed pursuant to Sub-section (1) shall be as prescribed.
12. Meeting Allowance
The members of the Board and a sub-committee shall be entitled to such meeting allowance as may be prescribed for taking part at a meeting of the Board or the sub-committee.
13. Delegation Of Powers
(1) The Board may, as per necessity, delegate any or all of the powers conferred on it to any member or sub-committee or Executive Director.
(2) The Executive Director may, as per necessity, delegate any of the powers conferred on him or her to any officer employee of the Board.
14. Power To Give Direction
The Government of Nepal may give necessary direction to the Board to carry out activities in consonance with the objects of the Board, and it shall be the duty of the Board to abide by the direction so given.
15. Office And Name Of The Board
(1) The office of the Board shall be located in Hetauda, Makawanpur District; and the Board may, as per necessity, also open its branch offices within Nepal.
(2) The name of the Board shall be as Vector-borne Disease Research and Training Centre.
16. Liaison With The Government Of Nepal
The Board shall liaise with the Government of Nepal through the Ministry of Health.
17. Powers To Frame Rules
The Board may, subject to this Order, frame necessary Rules for the operation of its activities, and such Rules shall come into force only with the approval of the Government of Nepal.